- ½-3/4 c Canola oil
- One good sized white onion, finely chopped
- Equal amount of APF to canola oil
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 3-4 c chopped vegetable of choice (food processor is GREAT for this)
- Vegeta to taste
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Herb of choice, to compliment vegetable: chives, dill, parsley, lovage, spring onion, basil, oregano, marjoram (Note: if using caraway, add it to the oil right at the start).
In Dutch oven or stock pot on low heat, bring oil to shimmer. Add onion and sauté to just before caramelized, add APF, slowly. Make a roux, as dark or light as you like. Remember: the deeper the color, the deeper the flavor. DO NOT BURN! Slowly add stock, increase heat to medium low, and bring to simmer. Add vegetable(s), cook until fork tender. Stir occasionally, to ensure roux is not sticking. Add Vegeta. Turn off heat, add garlic and herbs. Adjust seasonings.